It’s late Friday night and the day has been uneventful so far. While I’m waiting for the big show of storms to arrive tonight, here are some of my favorite good ol’ fashioned healthy living items.
1. Wood spoons. I’m ashamed to admit how long it has taken me to jump on this train. I have tons of black “heat proof” cooking utensils with burn marks on them or burned chipping pieces that touch our food. I have some new wooden spoons and I LOVE them! They are great in my nonstick pans and my enamel cast iron.
2. White low bowls. I’ve had these for a couple of months and I love them for salads and stir frys. Because they are white, food just looks good in them. I love my colorful dishes, but a great Orange Beef stir fry looks even better in these bowls. I truly believe if good food looks amazing, it tastes even better.
3. Farmer’s Markets. I’m ready for spring. Anybody else?
4. Fast, Fresh, and Green. I know I talk about this book every once in a while. But I use it EVERY WEEK. Maybe some recipes I use all the time (braised Brussels anyone?) but I do venture out and try a new recipe every other week. It’s a great cookbook for those new to clean eating and those wanting to know how to cook vegetables other than boiling them to oblivion. Not that oblivion boiled veggies can’t be good…topped with bacon maybe.
5. Misto. Mine has been working GREAT since I got it at Christmas. It’s my olive oil spritzer. I spray veggies before roasting them. I can’t use PAM or anything like that in my pans, but I can spray with olive oil. My other mister got clogged so often it was pointless to try to use.
6. My bed. What’s healthy about this?? It’s where I hide when storms are about to hit. And I’m hiding here right now. Okay, okay, it’s also where I try to get the recommended 7-8 hours a night…and fail miserably, but I have great intentions.