Disclaimer: I received free entry to the I Love the 90’s Run as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review, find, and write race reviews!
Even if the weather is not following along with the calendar, I’m still thinking fall thoughts while training for this race.
If you’re going to be in Nashville on Sept. 28, come down to Shelby Park and run a great themed 5k. I Love the 90’s run. Save $5.00 with code “BR90s”!
Training for my first 5K in a couple of years, one thing I forgot. I forgot just how easy it is to go out way too hard, too fast, too soon. A 5K race is 3.1 miles and it’s hard to have a good pace.
But in all honesty, I’m not trying to PR this one. I want to have fun, listen to some great music from the best decade, and soak up some fall weather (hopefully) in Nashville.
First 5K tips
- First races should not be about time. It is almost a foregone conclusion that you will start the race way too fast and run out of steam half way through. And that is perfectly fine.
- Enjoy the miles. They will seem super short and super long at the same time. Take it all in.
- Walk the water stops, if the race has them.
- Wave to any spectators.
- Don’t forget to walk around post race. This accomplishes two things. Muscle recovery and socializing while eating something good.
- Get some pics. Grab anyone to take it in front of a sign or selfie staging area.
- Wear the medal home.
Look for my race review and follow-up in a couple of weeks!