I love recipes that could work for almost any occasion. Spring grilling? Summer holidays? Dressed down in a sandwich bun for a tailgate? Thrown on a plate of fancy rice and linen napkin? This recipe works for all of those. And, it’s super quick. When I make this, I look for the best and most flavorful sausage because that is going to provide the base flavor for this dish. Pick out bright peppers and sweet summer onions to balance the spiciness from the cayenne. Including cutting the vegetables, this dish goes from fridge to table in 30 minutes, making it perfect for this weekend’s football games.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb sausage, sliced
- 2 cups chopped red/yellow/green peppers in any combination
- 1 cup onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 cup water or broth, as needed
- Preheat skillet. Add oil and swirl to coat.
- Add sausage and cook over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add peppers, onions, garlic and spices. Stir together. Let this cook an additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until vegetables are crisp-tender and still vibrant in color.
- Add a few tablespoons of water to deglaze the pan, if needed.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 607 Saturated Fat: 22g Trans Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 121mg Sodium: 1652mg Carbohydrates: 13g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 9g Protein: 23g
[ultimate-nutrition-label id=”18883″ align=”left”]