I wanted something crispy and had a lot of zucchini left from an earlier stir fry. Why not fry them up and dip them like French fries? I knew zucchini has a high water content so I wasn’t sure how it would work. I figured a high heat pan, a little avocado oil and some almond meal would make these work. I also knew that almond meal burns quickly so I wasn’t sure this would work.
- 1 zucchini, sliced into “fries”
- 1 cup of almond meal
- seasoned salt, garlic powder, or Italian seasoning to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- Season the almond meal with seasoned salt, garlic salt, or Italian seasoning. Use your favorite blend.
- Using a zip top bag, shake the zucchini fries into the seasoned meal to coat.
- Heat a non-stick pan with oil to med-high heat.
- Add the fries, one at a time to the pan.
- Cook 2-3 minutes on one side. When the almond meal starts to brown, flip them and cook another 2-3 minutes until the other size is crispy and brown.
- Remove from pan and eat! The longer they sit, the soggier they will get. This is definitely a cook and eat side dish.
Also, I tried to do a wet/dry double dipped batter with egg whites and it was a colossal mess. The almond meal was so fine, they didn’t get crispy.