I often get tired of the same old chicken recipes. As versatile as the lowly chicken is, why do I have to struggle to find creative ways to use it? I have a new dish to add to the arsenal of chicken glory. I made these a couple of weeks ago and I still remember how good but HEALTY these are!
Chicken Rollatini (from Danica’s Daily)
They look difficult, but they are really easy once you get everything prepped and ready to assemble.
What you need to have ready: deep saute’ pan, oiled baking sheet, oven preheated to 350*
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1.25 lbs)
- 2 oz sun dried tomatoes, not in oil
- 2 tsp dried Herbs de Provence seasoning
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 6 Tbsp finely shredded low-fat mozzarella
- 3 cups whole wheat egg noodles
- 1 zucchini and 1 summer squash, quartered and diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 4 Tbsp parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place each chicken breast between 2 sheets of saran wrap and pound away with your meat tenderizer to make them about 1/8th to a 1/4 inch thick.
- Sprinkle each side with sea salt, black pepper and dried Herbs de Provence seasoning.
- Place 5-7 spinach leaves, 2 Tbsp of sun dried tomatoes and 2 Tbsp of mozzarella on each breast. Roll up each breast, tucking the “stuffing” in as you make your “rollatini”. Use toothpicks to secure.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat and add 1 tsp olive oil. Add your “rollatini” and brown on all sides, about 6 minutes. Remove and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before removing toothpicks.
- While the chicken cooks, prepare the pasta according to the packaged instructions.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and add a teaspoon of oil. Sauté the squash, carrots and mushrooms in oil for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Toss in the cherry tomatoes and remove from heat.
- Drain pasta, add in butter, parmesan, chives and veggies. Toss gently.
- Slice chicken into 1 inch pieces and serve over 1 cup of the pasta mixture. Sprinkle with additional parmesan and chives if desired.