I’ve never put greens in a quesadilla before. Then again, I’ve never participated in a Community Supported Agriculture program before where I eat what I’m given. The rainbow chard is something I have never had. I’ve been on a kale kick for the past couple of years and have always had turnip and collard greens. But this stuff was so pretty!
I also love sauteeing some vegetables and sticking them between a tortilla with some cheese to bind it all together.
Vegetable Roll Ups
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups of rainbow chard, stems and leaves chopped
- 1/2 cup red onions
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped red peppers
- 1 ear of corn, removed from cob OR 1 cup of whole kernel corn canned or frozen
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 can of black beans
- 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning
- 4 tortillas
- 1/2 cup of shredded reduced fat cheese
What you need to have ready: saute’ pan, sheet pan misted with oil
1. Heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, mushrooms, peppers, corn. Cook for about 5-8 minutes until onions are translucent. Raise heat to medium high for two minutes before next step. Keep stirring as the pan heats up more.
2. Sprinkle taco seasoning all over.
3. Add water and immediately add chard. Cover quickly and allow chard to steam 3-5 minutes. Turn heat down to medium. Stir to combine. It’s fine to wait until chard is steamed to mix up the taco seasoning. Putting it in under the chard lets the broth steam in the flavors of the seasoning but taking the time to mix it all up will release the steam and steam is GOOD!
4. Add beans and mix with vegetables. Turn off heat.
5. Heat oven with the BROIL setting on high.
6. Take 1/4 of the vegetable mixture. Place it in the middle of the tortilla. Take 1/8 of a cup of cheese and sprinkle over mixture. Roll up the tortilla and secure the edges similar to a burrito. Place on oiled pan. Repeat with other 3 tortillas.
7. Put pan under broiler for 2 minutes. WATCH CLOSELY because they will scorch. Take them out when they start turning brown. Cut and enjoy!
1. 1/8 cup of ranch dressing (bottled already), 1/4 cup of reduced fat sour cream, juice of one lime, 1 teaspoon of chipotle powder.
2. mix well