Breakfast for dinner is one of my favorite meals. With the New Year healthy cooking spree I’ve been on, I’ve been eating several variations of the classic frittata. I love frittatas because I can use a wide variety of ingredients and put the pan under a broiler. It doesn’t get much easier! No tossing or flipping like with omelets. Just place in pan and let the broiler do the work. This recipe from Cooking Light is a great idea for a brunch or perfect for a slow Saturday morning.
Note: To make this compliant for the Paleo diet, omit the cheese. (But it adds a lot of flavor!!)
- 1 (8-ounce) package exotic mushroom blend
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat broiler.
- Heat an 8-inch ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add mushrooms to pan; sauté 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Place mushrooms in a medium bowl; cool slightly.
- Wipe pan clean with paper towels. Combine mushrooms, cheese, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, 1/8 teaspoon salt, egg whites, and eggs in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk.
- Heat pan over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add mushroom mixture; cook, covered, for 3 minutes or until almost set. Broil 3 minutes or until egg is set. Cut into 4 wedges.