Gluten Free pot roast is a favorite in my family and has been for a couple of years. The original recipe is called Mississippi Pot Roast and being from Mississippi, I gave it a try but had to make some changes.
The original calls for a packet of au jus. I cannot find gluten free au jus and I doubt I will because the wheat is what makes the gravy which makes this such a popular recipe. But after a little trial and error, I found a great solution. Beef broth and my own seasonings and spices seem to do the trick.
I like the spices of thyme, garlic, and onion powder. I have made this with seasoned salt and pepper. I’ve used a smoky grilled seasoning blend. It just depends on what you like. The beef broth helps make a good pan dripping-type gravy, but thinner than the au jus. All of these work great with the ranch and butter to create a warm and comforting slow cooked pot roast.
This is best served over mashed potatoes, mashed cheesy cauliflower, and rice. A 4lb roast should provide 8-10 servings. We have enough for 2 people and 4 leftover bowls.
Gluten Free Pot Roast
- 3-4lb Chuck Roast
- 1 stick of butter
- 6-7 pepperoncini peppers
- 1 packet of Ranch Dressing
- 1 Tablespoon of Beef Roast seasoning *see notes
- 1/2 cup of beef broth
- In a large slow cooker, place the beef roast. It is not required to sear first, but if you choose to sear it first in a hot skillet 2 minutes/side over high heat, do that first.
- Sprinkle the ranch dressing and the seasonings of your choice.
- Pour the broth around the edges of the roast.
- Lay a stick of butter on top. Place the peppers around the top. For an extra kick of flavor, pour 2 Tablespoons of the juice over the top, around the butter.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Choose any gluten-free spice blend that you prefer for roast. A smoky grilled spice blend works beautifully, along with regular seasoned salt. Just check the labels for wheat additives! Garlic powder, thyme, onion powder are other good choices.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 773 Total Fat: 52g Saturated Fat: 23g Trans Fat: 3g Unsaturated Fat: 26g Cholesterol: 266mg Sodium: 657mg Carbohydrates: 2g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 1g Protein: 75g