In preparation for a new round of Whole 30, I had to pull out my current favorite cookbook, Well Fed 2. When I saw this soup recipe, I knew I had to try it. I’m a huge soup fan, but most of my soups during these 30 days are broth based. Melissa promised this one did not need a thickener like coconut milk and I took her word for it.
And this is the first soup I’ve ever made that I could eat for breakfast. It is light, flavorful and extremely filling. And since it’s loaded with zucchini, it’s a serving of veggies, too.
Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 medium onion, coarsly chopped
- 4 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 zucchini, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups beef broth
- chives (optional)
- Heat coconut oil in large soup pot on medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until soft and just beginning to turn golden.
- Add ginger, coriander, salt and pepper to the pot. Stir.
- Add zucchini and toss with onions and herbs. Add chicken and beef broth.
- Bring to boil, lower heat, cover, and let simmer for about 45 minutes until the zucchini is very soft.
- Pick your weapon: Immersion blender or stand blender. If using stand blender, do this in batches, taking care to keep your hand and a cloth over the top so there will not be any splatters. Hot soup can expand in a high powered blender.
- Serve immediately, garnish with chives.