This is a new version of my previous soup, but this one is compliant with Whole 30, meaning it has no beans, potatoes, or products containing sugar. I simply replaced the beans with a diced summer squash and carrots for extra vegetables and it was just as good, if not better than the original.
- 1 purple onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 chopped chipotle chilies in adobo sauce OR 1 Tablespoon chipotle powder
- 1 cup of diced yellow summer squash
- 1 can of petite diced tomatoes
- 20 oz skinless, boneless chicken thighs, trimmed of visible fat
- 2 cans low-sodium chicken broth (I used my own bone broth)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon of Taco seasoning-I used Penzeys which uses just various spices.
- 1 tbsp olive or coconut oil
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 lime, quartered
- To a 5-qt slow cooker, add onion, carrots, celery, garlic, and chipotle chiles. Stir to combine. Top with squash and can of tomatoes.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet on medium-high. Add oil and let warm. Add chicken and cook for about 2 minutes per side, until lightly browned. Transfer chicken to slow cooker. To skillet, add broth, scraping up any browned bits with a spoon; pour broth over chicken. Sprinkle with cumin and taco seasoning. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours, or until chicken is no longer pink in center. (Alternatively, cook on high for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.)
- Gently remove chicken from slow cooker. Turn off heat and let stand, uncovered, for 15 minutes to absorb flavors and thicken slightly. (NOTE: Do not stir as vegetables are tender.) Tear apart chicken in small pieces and return to crock pot. Gently fold together. Sprinkle with salt and cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
30 Whole30 Crock Pot Recipes - Worth Cooking
Sunday 7th of September 2014
[…] Chipotle Chicken Soup @ Katrina Run […]
29 Whole 30 Recipes
Monday 30th of December 2013
[…] Chipotle Chicken Soup […]
Whole 30 Day 9: Getting better | Katrina Runs For Food
Sunday 27th of January 2013
[...] Dinner: Chipotle Chicken soup [...]