I’ve always said “it’s the little things”. Well, misery is not picky and since I feel a little better than a limp dishtowel, I’ve got 3 reasons why I’m smiling tonight.
1. A clean pantry.
I won’t go into detail about how many cans of pumpkin and various almond/peanut/pumpkin butters I have.
2. Cheater Pants Potato Soup
I was so tired I didn’t feel like cutting up potatoes. So, in my manhunt for food in the freezer, I found some frozen cubed hash browns. It was so easy using those.
- 2 T canola oil
- 1/2 Cup chopped onions
- 1/2 Cup chopped celery
- 5 cups of broth or water
- 1 lb bag of frozen potatoes, cubed.
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 4 T of flour
- 2-3 cups of milk
- shredded cheese good for melting—cheddar, colby, or even Velveeta
1. Add oil, onion, celery and potatoes to pot. Cook on med. heat stirring occasionally to quick cook the potatoes. Cook for 10 min.
2. Add broth. Simmer for another 20 minutes until potatoes are done.
3. Make the cheese sauce by melting butter in a saucepan. Add flour and whisk together for 3 minutes to get rid of raw flour taste.
4. Add 2 cups of milk. Turn heat to med and stir until sauce thickens. If it’s too thick, add more milk.
5. Add cheese to white sauce. Stir until melted.
6. Pour cheese sauce into potatoes. Stir, remove from heat. Put lid on it and let it sit for a few minutes before serving.
7. Salt and pepper as needed during cooking.
8. Top with extra cheese and green onions (scallions)
3. I have more medicine!
2 real Sudafed, 1 antibiotic, 2 alieve, cough/thinning syrup, zinc for the ulcers that have exploded in my mouth today thanks to the antibiotic, and a multi-vitamin just in case. Lemon tea with apple cider. Sounds gross but I can’t taste anything anyway, so it worked.