I’m not sure if this is just a southern thing or if it has spread across the states, but down here, we’re sometimes the superstitious sort. Black eye peas and greens are 2 things we believe bring us good luck and fortune in the new year. I’m cheating by having my peas a couple of days early, but I think the magic will still happen ;-). It is perfectly fine to separate your peas and greens or just throw them all together with some good ham bone or salt pork. This year, I’m doing it a little different. I made black eye pea soup and I did it in my new crock pot.
- 1 pounds bulk lean pork or turkey sausage
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 21/2 cups of dried black-eyed peas
- 32 oz low-sodium chicken broth, homemade or store-bought
- One 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
- One 7-ounce can diced green chiles, with juice
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon chipotle powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Brown the sausage first.
2. Layer the sausage, onions, celery, carrots, peas.
3. Add cans of tomatoes and chilies and seasonings.
4. Add broth. If this does not completely cover the other ingredients, add more broth or water until everything is covered.
5. Cook on high 6 hours.