Apples are bacon are 2 of my favorite ingredients to cook with when the days get shorter and the leaves start falling.
I love collard greens, but they can be a little bitter, depending on where they were grown. Using the sweet and smoky flavors of apples and bacon, I made a milder dish with plenty of flavor.
I made a finer chop of my greens, so the cooking time is a little less than I would use for a rough chop.
Apple-Bacon Collard Greens
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 apple, diced
- 5 strips of bacon, sliced
- 1 bunch of collard greens, washed and chopped
- 2 cups broth, ham, chicken, vegetable, or beef
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add sliced bacon and chopped apple.
- Saute' 5-8 minutes.
- Add greens to pan over bacon and apple. Add broth.
- Cook 15-20 minutes, stirring often, until stems are tender.