I have been waiting ALL YEAR!!!!
2009 National Champions, University of Alabama.
That has a nice ring, doesn’t it.
And it’s time to start the 2010 season. Living this close to Tuscaloosa has its perks, but being the home of UA is right up there at the top. Game day has an excitement in the air that’s contagious.
I’ve been an Alabama fan for years. My allegiance dates back to the days of high school basketball. My coach, Coach Ace Bryant (apparently no relation to the Legend…Bear Bryant) often talked about Alabama. I found myself watching the couple of years leading to the 92 National Championship. I was hooked.
The whole time we lived in Tennessee, we were the die-hard UA fans that couldn’t stand the big orange. We lived for the Third Saturday in October. We waved our crimson UA flags and refused to play into the Payton Manning hoop-la.
When job opportunities for both of us opened in Tuscaloosa, the U-Haul was packed tightly with furniture, school stuff, and UA gear.
I love food traditions and I’m making new ones all the time. Opening day of UA football is always the same. I make nachos. These are so easy to make but taste really good! At the time, I didn’t realize how semi-healthy these were. The cheese sauce is heavy on fat, but I lighten with skim milk and red. fat cheese.
- Brown lean ground meat with garlic, chopped jalapeños, and onions.
- Add 1 can of diced tomatoes and 1 can of beans (pinto, red, black) drained. (low sodium preferably)
- Add chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes.
- Make cheese sauce: Melt 4 T of butter. Add 4 T of flour. Combine and cook 2 minutes. Add 2 cups of milk and heat until thick. Add shredded cheese of choice.
- Get toppings ready: cilantro, black olives, green onions, sour cream, salsa (if desired. I don’t desire the last two)
- Assemble: layer of nachos, meat sauce, cheese sauce, toppings. Have fork and napkin ready.
I may have to make these again for that special day in October 😉