I love quick dinners. What that really means is I love quick dinners that I can make in one pan or pot and spend more time photgraphing than actually cooking. This was one of those nights.
The Thanksgiving travel and dinners are over and we both want to eat lighter and leaner this week. I feel a funky cold type thing coming on and I don’t really feel like eating much of anything. But Stephen convinced me that the fennel hanging out in our fridge needed to feel useful to the people.
This was easy, an like most stir fries, very versatile.
Fennel and Sausage Stir Fry
- 1 lb sausage pork or chicken in casing
- 1 fennel bulb sliced into thin strips, reserve fronds
- 2 cups thinly shredded cabbage
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper chopped
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil or butter divided
- 1 cup of broth any flavor
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons of herbs De provence or 1 teaspoon each of thyme and basil
Melt 1T butter or heat oil in an iron skillet over medium heat.
Cook the sausage completely, about 5-8 minutes and remove from pan.
Add other T of butter/oil to pan on med-high heat. . Add fennel and bell pepper. Cook 5 minutes.
Add Cabbage, spices/salt/pepper, and water. Cover and steam for another 8-10 minutes.
Remove lid and stir everything together. Serve immediately.