I love a clean fridge.
Weekend food prep #1 Veggie Beef Soup
- Brown beef with onions, carrots, celery, garlic
- Add 1 big can of crushed tomatoes or tomato puree, with 3 cups of beef stock
- Simmer for 30 min. Add cut green beans, frozen or can corn.
- Simmer for another 30 minutes.
This freezes very well.
Weekend Food prep #2 Crock pot Chicken casserole
- Place 3-4 chicken breasts in crock pot with a bottle of oil- based salad dressing. Cook low 6-8 hours.
- Remove chicken and keep warm. Add 2 cups of instant brown rice to pot and keep on low for 30 min.
- Add mushrooms and asparagus (or any other vegetable). Let cook on low for 10 minutes.
- Shred chicken and add back to pot. Stir. Rice should be done by now.
Variations: Chicken with Asian dressing and add snow peas, broccoli, carrots, ginger. Any oil based dressing will work with this. Do not use cream/mayo based like ranch or creamy Caesar. It will burn and curdle.
Weekend Food Prep #2 Butternut Squash
I had this from the local farmer’s market and had been waiting for a salmon night. Well, it’s been a while since I’ve seen salmon on sale, so I decided to make it for lunches this week.
Look how much moisture is in this thing! As soon as I cut it, I saw the juice on top.
- Dice squash. Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper
- Cook on 350* for 45 minutes
- Add parsley and stir
Let’s hope this week is better at school!